Mossberg and Taser are combining forces to bring the revolutionary combination of new technology and reliable form. The new TASER X12 LLS (Less-Lethal Shotgun) is a fully integrated less-lethal platform, utilizing a re-engineered Mossberg® 500® pump-action shotgun that has been optimized for the TASER™ XREP eXtended Range Electronic Projectile. This system enables integration of the TASER® X26 electronic control device (ECD) for close-in engagements. The TASER X12 LLS includes Radial Ammunition Key technology (patent pending) to prevent the system from accepting lethal 12-gauge rounds in order to remove the possibility of end users loading a lethal round in a less-lethal system during high stress situations.
Considering the storied role Mossberg firearms have played within law enforcement and military communities around the world, the collaborative project makes great sense. In addition to the Radial Ammunition Key system, the TASER X12 LLS also provides the following features:
• A high twist, rifled barrel system that is optimized for the lower velocities of less-lethal projectiles. Whereas standard Mossberg rifled barrels have a twist of 1 in 36 inches, the twist ratio for the TASER X12 LLS is 1 in 18 inches. This higher twist rate provides enhanced projectile stability at the lower velocities used for less-lethal projectiles such as the TASER XREP projectile.
• A Picatinny Rail system with the X-Rail™ mount pre-installed. The X-Rail mount allows the user to mount a standard TASER X26 ECD to the system. Together, the TASER X12 LLS with TASER X26 ECD integration gives the operator the ability to engage subjects across the full range of engagement distances, with the TASER X26 ECD optimized for engagements within 20 feet, and the TASER XREP projectile for subjects beyond 20 feet.
• TASER-Yellow™ coloration of the stock and fore-end of the shotgun for immediate identification as a less-lethal system
• A ghost ring sighting system
• Collapsible tactical stock
The TASER X12 LLS will be released at the conclusion of the pilot program for the XREP projectile, currently projected for the latter half of 2008.
TASER International’s products protect life. TASER provides advanced Electronic Control Devices (ECDs) for use in the law enforcement, medical, military, corrections, professional security, and personal protection markets. TASER devices use proprietary technology to incapacitate dangerous, combative, or high-risk subjects who pose a risk to law enforcement officers, innocent citizens, or themselves in a manner that is generally recognized as a safer alternative to other uses of force.