Turnbull Mfg. Co has designed a Model 1911 Pistol that offers something to both 1911 fans and members of the Single Action Shooting Society™ (SASS). The pistol will be newly manufactured and based on the 1918 production model of the 1911 pistol. As the premier restorer of historic 1911 pistols, Turnbull is able to turn out an accurate and reliable reproduction of this beloved pistol.
“I have always loved the 1911 pistol and as a SASS member, the best known single action firearm design is a natural fit,” noted company founder, president and SASS Member Turnin’ Bull. “We have added the personalization features that are important to Single Action Shooters.”
Each of the pistols will have “Wild Bunch” engraved on the right side of the slide, with the SASS member’s Official Alias on the left. In addition, the membership number will be used as the serial number.
“The ability to do honor both SASS and the timeless 1911 design was too good to not grab by the horns,” commented Turnbull, “and that just pushed us to be better. We like that kind of challenge.”
Turnbull is widely regarded as America’s top restorer’s of vintage 1911 pistols and other vintage firearms, using era specific methods to ensure restorations are accurate and true to the time the pistol was first manufactured. Those skills in restoration have been focused on deigning this new pistol using modern methods and materials where appropriate while adding modern safety and reliability without compromising design.
The pistols may be ordered by SASS members via the Turnbull web site at www.turnbullmfg.com with delivery via an FFL in the purchaser’s locale. Non-members should first visit the SASS web site at www.sassnet.com for information about membership.
Some features of the “Wild Bunch” Model 1911 by Turnbull Mfg. Co. include:
- Forged frame with appropriate shape and style
- A1 style rear sight, standard front sight
- Safety lock is an early style, with a knurled undercut thumb-piece
- Short, wide spur hammer with standard checkering
- Early style slide stop
- Two tone magazine
- Hand checkered, double diamond wood grips
- Pistol is hand-polished in the same manner as an original early mid-teens vintage pistol
- Period-correct Carbonia Charcoal Bluing on all parts
- Circled Turning Bull trademark on left of slide behind serrations
- Inspector’s mark from Doug Turnbull (TMC Owner/Founder)
- “Wild Bunch” Engraved on Right Side
- SASS Alias Engraved on Left Side
- SASS Member # used for Serial Number