Lubbock judge shoots down gun rights lawsuit

For the second time in roughly four months, a Lubbock…

For the second time in roughly four months, a Lubbock federal judge has ruled against the NRA in two gun rights lawsuits.
The ruling made on Thursday upholds the State of Texas law that puts certain restrictions on persons between the ages of 18 and 20.
The law does not allow those under the age of 21 to have a concealed handgun license or CHL. The NRA sued the state back in 2009, saying the law is discriminatory and a violation of Second Amendment rights.
At the same time, the NRA sued federal agencies, saying restrictions on the purchase of guns by those under the age of 21 were also discriminatory. The lawsuit against federal agencies was thrown out in late September and that case is currently on appeal.
There is no word yet on whether the NRA will also appeal this latest ruling.
In part, the judge said both sides were arguing over the issue of age, but U.S. District Court Judge Sam Cummings said Thursday in his ruling, “This approach puts the cart before the horse.”
“Because the Court is of the opinion that the Second Amendment does not confer a right that extends beyond the home,” Cummings said, “it need not reach the question regarding the age of investiture of such a right.”
But the judge did not ignore the issue of age. Cummings wrote, “Texas has identified a legitimate state interest – public safety – and passed legislation that is rationally related to addressing that issue.”
The two rulings together mean that the state and federal governments can put restrictions on the gun rights of people who have not reached the age of 21.

Read the rest of the article at KCBD11.

Load Comments
  • Bill

    So lettme get this straight… You can join up, go over to another country with an M4 at 18, but you can’t protect yourself while you are in your own country?? Scre these liberals.. All the BS about the 1%, and 21% of america (the left wing) is screwing over the other 79%… hypocrites at their finest

  • Blackie Smith

    The Second Amendment does not confer anything. We have let the lawyers running this country make the assertion that the Constitution is to be interpreted by them, and then they will tell us how we can live. They hide behind the Constitution when it suits them, and piss on it when it doesn’t. The Second Amendment allows us to rise up against a tyranical government, and that is why they want as few people armed as possible. Think I’m a nut conspiracy theorist, read the Federalist Papers for an explanation of the rationale behind the writing of the amendments to the Constitution.

  • Maverick

    HORSE CRAP! So you can go die for our country at 18 but you can not get a CCP?

    Since when does the constitution say age limit for rights is 18?