The Brazilian Army has placed an order for a batch of M2A1 .50 BMG heavy machine guns.
Brazilian Army Deal
According to Jane’s 360, the service plans on buying a grand total of 120 M2A1 HMGs through the U.S. Department of Defense’s Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program. The deal was evidently brokered back in August, when the Brazilian Army Commission—the Washington, D.C.-based organization that acquires and ships defense materials to Brazil—signed what’s called letter of offer and acceptance (LOA) for the M2A1.
There’s no indication as to the dollar amount of the deal; Jane’s, however, indicates that the contract includes “tripod mounts, spare parts and additional barrels.”
Right now, the plan is for the first 60 M2A1 HMGs to be delivered in Brazil in 2019. In 2020, the Brazilian Army will receive the remaining 60 guns. Brazilian machine gunners will receive training on using the M2A1s once they’re delivered.
An updated version of the M2 Ma Deuce, the M2A1 boasts a quick-change barrel; fixed headspace and timing; and a flash hider that reduces the its signature by 95 percent in nighttime situations. Meanwhile, this belt-fed, recoil-operated, crew-served gun weighs in at 84 pounds. It also has a cyclic rate of fire of 450 to 600 rounds per minute, with an effective range of roughly 2,000 yards.
The features and specs on this General Dynamics-produced weapon can be seen below.
- Fixed headspace and timing: Reduces safety concerns associated with barrel changing
- Simplifies warfighter training: Eliminates operator requirement to adjust the headspace and timing
- Positive barrel engagement: Ensures the barrel is securely locked and aligned with the patented J-slot barrel retention system
- Improved flash hider: Decreases muzzle flash, making the M2 night-vision friendly
- Robust, removable barrel handle: Streamlines hot-barrel changing
- Caliber: .50 caliber / 12.7mm (NATO)
- Weight (complete gun): 84 pounds (38.2kg)
- Length: 67.75 inches (1,721mm)
- Width: 9 inches (230mm)
- Cyclic Rate of Fire: 450-600 rounds per minute
- Maximum Effective Range: 2,000 yards (1,830m)
- Maximum Range: 7,440 yards (6,800m)
- Muzzle Velocity (M33): 2,910 feet per second (890 meters per second)
- Barrel Weight: 24 pounds (10.88kg)
- Barrel Construction: cobalt-chromium alloy liner