British police officials said on Thursday that six people had been arrested in connection with a suspected terrorist conspiracy in London. North of the capital, officers closed off a main north-south highway after reports that a passenger was behaving suspiciously.
The incidents, police officials said, were unrelated and were not connected to the forthcoming 2012 Olympic Games in London which involve a huge security operation, including the deployment of antiaircraft missiles on some apartment houses.
The timing of the alarms, however, reflected the level of official concern that the Olympics, which start on July 27, and subsequent Paralympic Games could be targeted by terrorists. The arrests came within two days of the seventh anniversary of attacks on July 7, 2005, when four suicide bombers killed 52 passengers on the London transit system.
Olympic organizers had announced on July 6, 2005, that London would host the 2012 games.
Read more at the New York Times