The Dutch Ministry of Defence announced it has signed a contract with Heckler & Koch for delivery of its HK416 A5 rifles.
According to Jane’s 360, the contract is a single-source procurement worth $17.3 million. It’s a seven-year deal with an option to extend an additional three years. Included in the package are rifle parts, equipment and accessories. The contract was signed with Condor Arnhem, a Dutch company that supplies arms and related products to local authorities.
These HK416 A5 rifles will be going to the three primary Dutch special forces units: the Dutch Army’s Korps Commandotroepen, the Marines’ Netherlands Maritime Special Operations Forces (NLMARSOF) and the Brigade Speciale Beveiligingsopdrachten (BSB) of the Royal Marechaussee gendarmerie force.
The HK 416 A5 is chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO and is available in 11-inch, 14.5-inch, 16.5-inch and 20-inch barrel lengths. See below for a rundown of features, via the listing on HK’s website.
HK416 A5 Features
- Modified and tool-less gas regulator for suppressor use
- Safety-/Fire selector lever can be set to safe when hammer is in the cocked or uncocked position
- Over the beach (OTB) capability
- Completely ambidextrous operating controls (bolt catch-, Magazine release-, safety-/fire selector lever and charging handle)
- “Winter” trigger guard for use with gloves and cold weather clothing
- Non-stop NATO-Stanag 4694 top rail for use of various mechanical and optical sights (incl. night vision/thermal)
- Redesigned ergonomic pistol grip with storage compartment for field stripping tool
- Enlarged Bolt catch lever and protective barrier against accidental discharge
- “Slim line” Telescopic buttstock
- Optimised receiver geometry, modified assembly interfaces and improved receiver connections
- Receiver extension to stabilise and accomplish drop test criteria under real conditions
- Increased magazine compatibility in accordance with NATO-STANAG-DRAFT 4179 (M4/M16 Magazines)
- 40 mm Low velocity GLM/M320 interface
Variants | Options
- 11“, 14.5“, 16.5“ and 20“ barrel lengths available
- Black and green brown colour scheme
- Compatible with HK 40 mm low velocity GLM/M320
- Compatible with HK steel and polymer magazines
Distinctive features of the variants
- The 20″ Variant has a long handguard with a gas regulator window
- Handguard with integrated flip up sight on 11″ Variant
- Modular interface for Bayonet and foldable front sight on barrel of the 14.5″, 16.5″ and 20″ variants