Comment(s)

A hearing outlining evidence against U.S. Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan in last year’s massacre at a soldier readiness center should be public, a military official ruled Thursday.

Defense lawyer John Galligan said he may appeal that ruling because he believes that closing the military’s equivalent to a grand jury proceeding against Hasan next month is necessary for a fair trial.

Col. Michael Mulligan, the Army’s lead prosecutor, belittled the request during a two-hour hearing Thursday at the post court building.

In his argument to close the Article 32 hearing, Galligan cited the relentless media coverage of the case. Mulligan noted that Galligan has been quoted in much of that coverage. Taking the case “behind closed doors” might fan public concerns, the prosecutor added. “The defendant can’t shield himself from his activities.”

Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, is accused of killing 13 colleagues and wounding 32 in the Nov. 5 shootings. An Article 32 proceeding scheduled to begin at Fort Hood on Oct. 12 will determine whether Hasan faces a court-martial. The proceeding is expected to include weeks of testimony from survivors, first responders, medical personnel and investigators.

Witnesses said Hasan began shooting after yelling the Muslim exhortation “Allahu Akbar,” or “God is great.” The attack ended when civilian police shot Hasan. He remains paralyzed from the chest down and is being held in an infirmary wing of the Bell County jail.

Source: Lee Hancock for The Dallas Morning News.

Up Next

LFI-III Class

A hearing outlining evidence against U.S. Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan in last year's massacre…