Maj. Nidal Hasan appeared in court sporting a beard as he did during a court appearance last month. The beard violates Army regulations, but Maj. Hasan said it is an expression of his Muslim faith.
The judge, Col. Gregory Gross, held Maj. Hasan in contempt of court for keeping the beard and fined him $1,000. Fort Hood spokesman Chris Haug said Judge Gross gave Hasan the choice to shave on his own or be forcibly shaved sometime before his court-martial begins August 20.
Maj. Hasan again refused to shave and watched the rest of the day’s hearing outside the courtroom.
Maj. Hasan, 41, is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder in the November 2009 massacre, the worst shooting incident on a US military post. He faces the death penalty if convicted.
Read more at The Australian/AP