Smith & Wesson launched a really interesting update to the M&P line today. The S&W M&P M.20 Metal brings an aluminum-framed, optics-ready variant into the vaunted duty/carry pistol series. The T6 aluminum frame should spark loads of interest with shooters that prefer a lightweight, rigid metal frame over plastics.
S&W M&P M2.0 Metal Details
The M2.0 Metal features an 18-degree grip angle for point of aim, combined with four interchangeable palmswell grip inserts for a custom fit. A textured polymer front strap, wide slide stop and reversible magazine release adds familiar feel and controls.
Keeping with current trends, the M2.0 Metal comes pre-cut for slide-mounted optics. Meanwhile, a Picatinny rail forward of the trigger guard enables attachment of lights/lasers. Forward slide serrations, a low bore axis and M2.0 flat-face trigger blend an assortment of proven component choices.
Obviously, what’s cool here is the metal frame. But the pistol also sports an equally appealing Tungsten Gray Cerakote finish to the frame and stainless steel slide. Combined with the black accents of the controls and palmswells, and the M2.0 Metal delivers a really distinctive style and appearance.
More importantly, the 9mm pistol utilizes a 4.25-inch stainless steel barrel with an Armornite finish. The M2.0 Metal comes with a 17-round magazine, seated into a package that weighs just 30 ounces overall. The pistol rides in standard M&P9 holsters, and it also accepts and 17-round M2.0 magazine. Win-win all the way around.
Smith & Wesson is excited to introduce a new addition to the M&P family! Our new all Metal Pistol is chambered in 9MM has a 4.25in barrel, T6 Aluminum frame, M2.0 flat face trigger, wide slide stop, reversible magazine release, slide cut for optics and has the M&P’s patented take-down lever and sear deactivation systems to allow for disassembly without pulling the trigger!
The S&W M&P M2.0 Metal retails for $899. For even more info, please visit smith-wesson.com.
Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 Metal
- Optimal 18-degree grip angle for natural point of aim
- Four interchangeable palmswell grip inserts for optimal hand fit and trigger reach – S, M, ML, L
- Textured polymer front strap
- Wide slide stop
- Reversible magazine release
- Slide cut for optics
- M2.0 flat face trigger for consistent finger placement that allows for more accurate and repeatable shooting
- Picatinny-style rail
- Forward slide serrations
- Low barrel bore axis makes the M&P pistol comfortable to shoot, reducing muzzle rise and allowing for faster aim recovery
- Enhanced sear for lighter, crisper trigger let-off
- Accurate 1 in 10 ̋ twist barrel
- M&P’s patented take-down lever and sear deactivation systems allow for disassembly without pulling the trigger
- Accepts any 17 round M2.0™ magazine
- Comes with two 17-round magazines
- Fits standard M&P9 holster
Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 Metal Specifications
- Model: M&P9 M2.0 METAL
- Caliber: 9mm Luger
- Overall Capacity: 17+1
- Optics: Yes
- Color: Two-Tone
- Safety: No Thumb Safety
- Overall Length: 7.4 inches
- Front Sight: Steel White Dot
- Rear Sight: Steel White 2-Dot
- Action: Striker-Fire
- Grip: Interchangeable Palmswell Inserts (4)
- Barrel Material: Stainless Steel with Armornite Finish
- Slide Material: Stainless Steel
- Frame Material: T6 Aluminum
- Slide Finish: Tungsten Gray Cerakote
- Frame Finish: Tungsten Gray Cerakote
- Barrel Twist: 1:10˝ RH
- Barrel Length: 4.25 inches
- Overall Weight: 30 ounces
Yes, the polymer-framed, striker-fired 9mm pistol still reigns supreme. Nevertheless, interest remains for metal-framed semi-autos. It appears S&W put some thought into this approach, a nice blend of contemporary components and style. Optics-ready right out of the box, you can carry this bad boy on duty, shoot a match, or carry for defense. We will be especially interested how the Metal series builds out down the road, like a 5-inch competition model hopefully. In the meantime, stay tuned for a full range review coming real soon.