The MPA 224BA is the latest bolt-action offering from Georgia-based MasterPiece Arms. Built for use with the new 224 Valkyrie caliber, the rifle is geared toward two specific audiences: competitive shooters and hunters interested in “varmints and medium game with a 1/2″ MOA accuracy guarantee,” the press release says.
- RELATED STORY: 12 Classic & Contemporary Bolt-Action Rifles Worth Your Time
The rifle chassis is machined to exacting tolerances from 6061 aluminum. In addition, its weight is reduced and its structural integrity is boosted thanks to MPA’s unique pocketing system. The chassis also features a built-in bubble level, thumb notch, night vision bridge, lower mounted Picatinny rail and MPA Enhanced Vertical Grip. It’s also compatible with a user-locatable barricade stop system, which requires that you buy the optional MPA BA Rotating Barricade Stop.
Meanwhile, the MPA 224BA also features a precision drilled, reamed and honed Spencer/MPA 416RQ stainless steel barrel that measures 24 inches in standard length. The barrel is hand lapped, and bore and land inspected on a video borescope. The chamber, the press release says, is indicated within 0.0001″ or less to the rifle’s bore.
In addition, the rifle’s buttstock sports an adjustable length of pull, adjustable cheek riser and bag rider. The length of pull and cheek position are locked in via a set of screws embedded into the body of the buttstock. This allows for a strong lockup of the cheek riser plate and recoil plate assembly, the company says.
- RELATED STORY: 12 Lightweight Bolt-Action & AR-Platform .308 Rifles
The MPA 224BA comes in eight different colors: black, burnt bronze, flat dark earth, gunmetal, Marine red, NRA blue, sniper green and tungsten. All chassis are Cerakoted in a number of different colors. Solid colors are included. If you want to go the custom route, there’s a $135 addition charge for the chassis body and $65 or the barreled action.
The MSRP on the MPA 224BA is $2,825. See the specs below.
- Caliber: 224 Valkyrie
- Action: Curtis Custom Axiom
- Action / Bolt Design: Remington 700 Type
- Chassis: MPA BA Chassis
- Chassis Weight: 5.2 lbs.
- Barrel: 416RQ Stainless Steel Spencer / MPA barrel
- Barrel Twist: 1:7 (other twist rates available)
- Barrel Length: 24″ Standard
- Barrel Muzzle Thread: 5/8-24 TPI
- Barrel Profile: Sendero Profile (others available)
- Coating: Cerakote
- Length of Pull: 13.75 – 14.75″
- Trigger: Trigger Tech
- Trigger Pull: 1 – 3 lbs.
- Magazine: AICS Type (AICS Type 10 round magazine included)
- MSRP: $2,825
For more information, visit masterpiecearms.com.