Beretta Defense Technologies has introduced its new 9mm PMX submachine gun for 2018.
Developed for law enforcement and military customers, the Beretta PMX is a blowback system with a closed-bolt firing mode. It features a 6.9-inch barrel. A sound suppressor can be “employed when the tactical need requires it, both with subsonic and supersonic ammunition,” the press release says.
Both the barrel and bolt are machined from high-strength steel to withstand harsh environments. The gun includes a three-position fire selector—for safe, single and full-auto fire—on both sides of the polymer lower receiver for right and left-handed users.
According to the presser, the selector safety blocks the sear and an automatic firing pin block stops forward movement of the firing pin unless the trigger is fully pulled, or in the event the PMX is dropped by accident. The bolt is held open and rearward by a bolt-open lever after the last round is fired. This lets you know immediately that the PMX doesn’t have a round in the chamber or mag.
Special surface finishes and treatments are applied to the metal parts of the firing mechanisms and on areas of friction between components. This, the company says, reduces maintenance wear and maintenance operations.
The PMX also features a lightweight, ergonomic stock that can be folded with the push of a button, turning it into a compact and easily concealable firearm. In addition, this sub gun sports Picatinny rails (MIL-STD-1913) on the top, bottom and sides of the receiver for attaching accessories. Meanwhile, oversized magazine release buttons on both sides of the gun ensures easy operation when wearing gloves.
Rounding out the features here are a tactical carrying sling attachable to two swivels in the front and rear; windage adjustable rear sight and elevation adjustable front sight; and an OAL of 16.5 inches folded and 25.2 inches extended.
The Beretta PMX, which comes with a translucent 30-round polymer magazine, first made its debut at Milipol Paris 2017. It’s making its stateside debut at SHOT Show in Las Vegas. See the specs and features below.
Beretta PMX Specs
- Caliber: 9 x 19 mm
- Magazine Capacity: 30 rounds
- Barrel Length: 6.9 in. (175 mm)
- Overall Length: Extended stock – 25.2 in. (640 mm), Folded stock – 16.5 in. (418 mm)
- Overall Height (With Magazine): Without sights – 9.8 in. (250 mm), With folded sights – 10.6 in. (270 mm)
- Overall Width: With extended stock – 2.9 in. (74 mm), With folded stock cocking handle right – 3.4 in. (86 mm), With folded stock cocking handle left – 3.9 in. (100 mm)
- Line of sight: 9.8 in. (250 mm)
- Weight (Unloaded): 5.3 lbs (2.4 kg)
- Locking System: Blowback
- Operating System: Semi-auto and full-auto
- Safety: Manual safety on selector which locks the trigger and automatic firing pin safety with bolt open lever
- Sights: Rear sight adjusts in windage. Front sight adjusts in elevation. Both are removable.
- Stock: Polymer and light alloy metals
- Special Features: Picatinny rails MIL-STD-1913 positioned top, bottom and on sides of receiver; vertical front hand guards
Going on your first AR hunt? No problem. Bill Wilson, the king of the...
by Bill Wilson / Jan 24, 2018