German gunmaker C.G. Haenel came loaded for bear at this year’s Enforce TAC and IWA exhibitions, debuting its AR 10-type CR 308 rifle under its Haenel Defence brand.
Based on the company’s CR 223 model in .223 Rem./5.56x45mm, the big brother CR 308 is chambered in—you guessed it—.308 Win./7.62 x51mm NATO. The brochure says it’s available in both 16.5-inch and 20-inch barreled variants with an A2 flash hider and a QD suppressor mount. Spartanat claims 14.5-inch and 18-inch options are also available. The barrel is cold hammer forged. In addition, this rifle uses a short-stroke gas piston system.
The CR 308 also features an ambidextrous magazine release; ambidextrous bolt catch; ambi 60 degree safety lever; ambidextrous charging handle six-position telescopic buttstock; and adjustable pistol grip. Furthermore, the handguard can be removed without tools. It features two NARs (Nato Accessory Rails) at the 12 and 6 o’clock position. It also sports KeyMod rails at the 3 and 9 o’clock position, Spartanat says.
Meanwhile, buyers have the option of choosing between a single stage trigger (6.2-7.8 pounds) and a two stage trigger (3.8-4.4 pounds).
Haenel’s new CR 308 sports a 10-round magazine capacity. Additionally, the overall weight is between 9.4 and 10.1 pounds, depending on the options you choose. Furthermore, the OAL ranges from 33.7 inches to 39.2 inches, again option dependent. Pricing hasn’t yet been announced for this model.
See the specs below, pulled from the brochure. For more information about C.G. Haenel and Haenel Defence, visit cg-haenel.de.
Haenel CR 308 Specs
- System: indirect gas operated
- Caliber: .308 Win.
- Barrel Length/Twist: 16,5“/ 420mm – 12“, 20“/ 508mm – 12”
- Stock: AR-15 telescopic buttstock, 6 stages
- Length Max/Min: 16,5“– 978mm / 894mm, 20“–1.080mm / 996mm
- Flash Hider: A2 standard with QD suppressor mount
- Handguard: Two NAR and two KeyMod rails, removable without tools
- Pistol Grip: Standard
- Sight: Foldable mechanical sight
- Trigger: Single stage trigger 28–35N, Pressure point trigger (Two stage trigger) 17–20N
- Safety: Fire pin safety, ambidextrous, 60 degrees
- Magazine Capacity: 10 rounds
- Weight: approx. 4.3kg – 4.6kg
A look at how American soldiers are sharpening the tip of the spear via the...
by John M. Buol Jr. / Mar 14, 2018