There’s really little to debate at this point. The AR-15, in all its form, is America’s rifle. And for many, especially military veterans, there’s a place in the safe for a throwback to the time they served. For anyone looking for a modern take on the ubiquitous A2/A3 service rifle, the Stag 15 Retro checks all the boxes.
Stag 15 Retro Rifle Details
We got our hands on the new 15 Retro at the 2020 Athlon Outdoors Rendezvous. Nearly A2 in every regard, shooters benefit from the detachable A3 carry handle. Many recent veterans carried this version of the service rifle topped with a Trijicon.
The A2 buttstock remains, complete with the trap door storage perfect for that GI cleaning kit. The thermoplatic handguards include the well-remembered double heat shields. A 20-inch chrome-lined barrel, A2 birdcage flash hider and loads of Mil-Spec components join an M16 BCG.
“It’s a classic rifle—something you’d expect to be issued in the military. But, of course, it has the reliability you’re used to with a Stag rifle,” said Dave Hartman, Marketing Manager for Stag Arms. “Unfortunately, it doesn’t go to the ‘fun position’ like they do in the military.”
If this thing were anymore retro, we’d have an armorer holding up our weekend libo because we left too much carbon on the bolt. We can still smell the CLP.
The Stag 15 Retro, in all its vintage glory, retails for $949.99. Like all Stag rifles, it comes with a lifetime warranty, which is also transferable. On top of that, Stag added its new Cheyenne-marked receiver. This is new feature for all Stag rifles in 2021 to commemorate its move to Wyoming from Connecticut. Watch the video above to see the rifle out on the range in Idaho. For even more info, please visit stagarms.com.
Stag 15 Retro Specs
- Weight: 8.5 pounds
- Length: 39.75″
- Action: Semi-Auto Direct Impingement
- Caliber: 5.56 NATO | .223
- Twist Rate: 1/7 Button Rifled
- Muzzle Device: A2 Birdcage Flash Hider
- Barrel: 20-inch, 4140 Steel, Chrome-Lined, Heavy Profile, Manganese Phosphate Coated
- Handguard: Thermoplastic with Double Heat Shields
- Receiver Material: Forged and Mil-Spec 7075 T6 Aluminum with Type 3 Hard Coat Anodizing
- Bolt Carrier: Mil-Spec Manganese Phosphate coated M16 BCG
- Gas System: Rifle Length with A2 Front Post
- Charging Handle: Standard Mil-Spec
- Front Sight: F-marked A2 Front Sight and Bayonet Lug
- Rear Sight: Removable A3 Carry Handle with Integrated Sight
- Buttstock: A2 Buttstock with Trap Door For Storage
- Buffer: A2 Buffer with A2 Action Spring
- Trigger: Mil-Spec Single Stage Trigger
- Grip: A2 Style Grip
- Magazine: 20 rounds
- Safety Selector: Right or Left Hand
With a pull weight of 3 pounds, the new Timney Alpha Competition series trigger...
by Tactical Life / Jan 20, 2021