A number of companies have started rolling out rifles chambered in Federal’s new .224 Valkyrie cartridge; one of the latest to join the party is Maine-based Windham Weaponry, which recently unveiled its R22FSFSL-224 model.
The R22FSFSL-224 features a 22-inch 416R stainless steel barrel with a 1:7 twist. The barrel is fluted and threaded to 1/2-28 for muzzle devices. Equipped with a forged 7075 T6 aluminum flat top upper receiver with a hardcoat black anodized finish, this rifle also comes with a Windham 15-inch free-float forend; Luth-AR buttstock with an adjustable buttplate and cheek rest; Hogue overmolded beavertail grip; and a Hyperfine EDT DM trigger. No sights are included, but the rifle can accommodate them at the front and rear.
Measuring 40.25 inches in overall length, the R22FSFSL-224 tips the scales at 8.7 pounds without the magazine. Speaking of the magazine, the capacity on this model is 5+1. It ships with one 5-round magazine, as well as a hard plastic case with a black web sling and a manual.
MSRP on this rifle is $1,587. See a specs rundown and an introductory video below.
Introduced in Dec. 2017, Federal’s 224 Valkyrie round produces flat trajectories, match-grade accuracy and supersonic velocities beyond 1,300 yards downrange, the company claims.
“The 224 Valkyrie is based on a 30 Rem./6.8 SPC case necked down to .224 caliber,” Mike Holm, Federal’s global product lane director for centerfire ammunition, said in a statement. “It beats the ballistics of all other MSR 15 cartridges, including the 22 Nosler, 223 Rem. and 6.5 Grendel. Plus, it offers comparable performance to larger rounds like the 6.5 Creedmoor, with roughly half the felt recoil—and at a more economical price.”
For more on Windham Weaponry, visit windhamweaponry.com.
Windham Weaponry R22FSFSL-224 224 Valkyrie
- Caliber: .224 Valkyrie
- Action: Semi-Automatic, Gas Impingement System
- Capacity: 5 +1 – Ships with one 5 Round Magazine
- Safety: Manual Lever with Indicator Markings on Both Sides of Receiver
- Receiver: Flat Top Type Upper Receiver with Laser Engraved Caliber
- Material: Forged 7075 T6 Aircraft Aluminum with Aluminum Trigger Guard
- Receiver Finish: Hardcoat Black Anodize Finish
- Bolt Material: Carpenter 158 Steel
- Barrel: 22″ Fluted – Threaded (1/2″ x 28 T.P.I.) for various muzzle devices. Inc. muzzle protector.
- Barrel Material: 416R Stainless Steel
- Rifling: 1 in 7″ – Right Hand Twist
- Stock: Luth-AR Buttstock with adjustable buttplate and cheekrest
- Forend: Windham Weaponry 15″ Free-Float Forend
- Pistol Grip: Hogue Overmolded Beavertail Grip
- Rear Sight: None – Ready for optics or other type accessory sights
- Front Sight: None – Ready for accessory sights on Railed Forend
- Weight: 8.7 lbs. without magazine
- Length: 40.25″
- Packaging: Hard Plastic Gun Case with Black Web Sling & Operators Manual
A woman in Santa Cruz is facing an attempted murder charge after she escaped...
by Tactical-Life / May 25, 2018