Drones, quadcopters and UAVs may be gaining in popularity, but so are devices designed to take them down. Into this particular space steps DroneShield, a company headquartered in Sydney, Australia, which has just unveiled a new anti-drone device called the DroneGun Tactical.
A more compact version of the company’s DroneGun MKII released last year, the DroneGun Tactical sends out jamming frequencies that cause any unwelcome drone to either land on the spot or return back to its starting point. It has an effective range of up to 1km (1,094 yards). This model is capable of disrupting 433MHz, 915MHz, 2.4GHz, and 5.8GHz RF bands simultaneously. You can also create a GNSS disruption. When the drone is jammed up, it immediately ceases to transmit video back to the operator.
Meanwhile, the futuristic-looking DroneGun Tactical is touted in the press release as having an ergonomic body and controls. It’s completely self-contained, meaning there’s no need for a backpack. In addition, it tips the scales at 15 pounds. It also comes with a rechargeable lithium ion battery to keep it running for up to 30 minutes, and it’s capable of operating in weather ranging from -20 degrees Celsius (-4 degrees Fahrenheit) to 55 degrees Celsius (131 degrees Fahrenheit).
Want one? Well, you can’t have one. DroneShield says it’s only available to “the United States government and its agencies.” It’s illegal for civilians, as well as state or local government agencies. Until such time as the FCC authorizes it for use by civilians, we’ll have to dream. See the specs and features below.
For more, go to droneshield.com.
Benefits Of DroneGun Tactical Drone Jammer
- Effective coverage: Allows for an up to 1km coverage, in a wide range of environmental conditions
- Fully Integrated: Battery powered single rifle style solution, one person operation
- Easy to use: no technical training for set up or use required, highly portable design
- Immediate video cease: immediately ceases video transmission back to the drone operator
- Enables investigation: drone remains intact and available for forensic investigation
- Additional Frequency Bands: Option to disrupt multiple RF frequency bands simultaneously (433MHz, 915MHz, 2.4GHz & 5.8GHz)
- GNSS Disruption: Optional GNSS disruption capability (GPS, GLONASS)
- Protected: Unit supplied packed in custom carbon fibre carry case.
DroneGun Tactical Specifications
- Voltage: 14.8VDC
- Effective Range: Up to 1km (1,094 yards)
- Rifle Weight: 6.8kg (15lbs) (including 2 x batteries)
- User Feedback: Visual + Optional Audio
- Colour: Black
Effective Jammer Frequencies
- 433MHz (433.05 ~ 434.79 MHz)
- 915MHz (Option 1 – 902 ~ 928MHz) (Option 2 – 915 ~ 928MHz)
- (optional) GNSS L2 (1227 ~ 1251) & GNSS L1 (1575 ~ 1605)
- 2.4GHz ISM (2400 ~ 2483.5GHz)
- 5.8GHz ISM (5725 ~ 5850GHz)
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
- NATO Military approved or commercial options available
- Quick release and reload battery operation
- Operating Time: 30min+
- Operating temperature: -20 ºC to +55 °C (-4ºF to +131ºF)
- Designed to IP54
- 12 months from date of shipment
- Ships in custom carbon fibre carry case (IP67)
- Dimensions: 1422mm x 450mm x 203mm (56“ x 17 3/4“ x 8“)
- Total Weight (including box packaging): 16.5kg (36.4 lbs)
- HS Code: 8543.70.9090