The US military’s top officer on Thursday said the United States remained committed to tracking down Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden and his deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri.
Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in an interview that Al-Qaeda had been weakened in the past two to three years and predicted that the network’s top two leaders eventually would be hunted down.
He said that “it would certainly be significant if we were to find and kill Bin Laden or Zawahiri. We are seeking to do that.
“I actually believe that some point in time it will happen.”
He said Al-Qaeda “has been significantly diminished over the course of the last two or three years but by no means are they no longer lethal.”
Mullen said that “we’ve gained an edge on Al-Qaeda” but that the group remained a lethal threat.
“We want to continue to raise the pressure and certainly seek to kill or capture the top two in Al-Qaeda,” he added.
Mullen spoke amid heightened alerts in the US and Europe over terror threats and as commentators marked the nine-year anniversary of the start of the war in Afghanistan.
Critics say the US military missed the best chance to capture Bin Laden in the early days of the conflict in 2001.
Bin Laden’s whereabouts are unknown, but in August, the NATO commander in Afghanistan, US General David Petraeus, said he is “far buried” in the remote mountains between Afghanistan and Pakistan and that capturing him remains a key task.
The US military's top officer on Thursday said the United States remained committed to…
by Tactical-Life.com / Oct 7, 2010