The Protector Robot from HDT Global — an Ohio-based manufacturer of products for military, government, and civilian consumers — is designed to clear trails for dismounted infantry in a variety of missions. This vehicle is capable of carrying 1,250 pounds of gear: 750 pounds on the vehicle and an additional 500 pounds on a trailer. It is less than three feet wide, uses a 32 horsepower turbo diesel/JP8 engine, has a 15 gallon internal fuel tank, and has an ability to climb a 45° slope. See the video below for a demonstration.
The HDT Global Protector robot is operated using a lightweight hand controller which weighs eight ounces and has a thumbstick and two buttons. The controller utilizes a wireless link to a four pound radio repeater, allowing for operations up to 1,300 ft (400 m) away. Another advantage of the Protector robot is that it disassembles into four different modules. Each module requires four men to carry it. An infantry unit can quickly break down the vehicle and transport it across obstacles it is unable to cross by itself.
HDT says it has successfully demonstrated a number of different attachments on its new Protector robot, including “mini-flail, mine roller/rake, pre-detonation electrical discharge system, semi-autonomous navigation kit, satellite communications for world-wide remote control, backhoe/loader, stretcher mount points for two wounded, tethered UAV for persistent surveillance, and M-153 CROWS remote weapons station,” their website states.
See below for additional details on the HDT Global Protector Robot.
Key Features: HDT Global Protector Robot
- Mini-flail clears path for infantry
- Carries up to 750 lbs (340 kg) on vehicle with an additional 500 lbs (227 kg) on trailer
- Internal fuel for days of movement
- 45° slope climb, 30° side slope
- Separates into man-portable modules
- Charges wide range of infantry batteries
- 2 kW of output electrical power available
- Stretcher bearer for two wounded personnel
- Backhoe/Loader attachment
Specifications: Protector Prime Mover
- Height: 42″ (106.7 cm)
- Width: 36″ (90 cm)
- Length: 76″ (193 cm)
- Max Speed, No Flail: 5 mph (8 kph)
- Longitudinal Slope: 45 degrees
- Lateral Slope: 30 degrees
- Payload Capacity on Vehicle: 750 lbs (227 kg)
- Payload Capacity Attached Trailer: 500 lbs (227 kg)
Specifications: Protector Mini-Flail Operations
- Cleared Path Width: 22″ (60 cm)
- Max Speed: 3 mph (5 kph)
For more information about the Protector robot, and the full range of products currently offered by HDT Global, please visit http://www.hdtglobal.com
The Odin head mount display allows the user to see and interact with information...
by Andrew Berry / May 29, 2014