After four years of research and development, Kramer Defense has commercially released the 6.8x45mm Urban Combat Cartridge (UCC) as a cost-effective, ballistically superior upgrade for the AR-15, M16, and M4 platforms.
- RELATED STORY: 36 of the Best New Ammo and Components For 2015
The 6.8x45mm UCC provides military, law enforcement, and civilian users the ballistic performance similar to the 6.8mm Remington Special Purpose Cartridge in a package that is significantly more cost-effective and easily retrofitted to existing AR-15 patterned carbines.
Based on the 5.56 NATO cartridge case, the 6.8x45mm UCC offers a significant ballistic advantage over its parent cartridge and even outperforms the 7.62x39mm and the popular .300 AAC Blackout cartridges, when fired from similar barrel lengths.
The result of the company’s development work is a cartridge that offers AR-15 users the ultimate in flexibility. The 6.8x45mm UCC has proven to be ballistcally superior in short-barreled AR-15 carbines, cycles flawlessly in selective-fire weapons, handles projectiles suitable for hunting applications, and has performed extremely well in initial sound suppression tests.
“While we were focused on a solution for combat, the end result is probably the most efficient cartridge you can put in an AR-15,” said Larry Kramer, president of Kramer Defense. “The 6.8x45mm Urban Combat Cartridge offers the best trade-off balance of increased terminal performance, cartridge size, projectile weight, velocity, weapon compatibility, magazine capacity and controllable recoil. It really is the ultimate intermediate caliber.”
- RELATED STORY: Ammo Debate: 9mm Versus .40
For more information on the Urban Combat Cartridge, please visit KramerDefense.com.
Kramer Defense currently offers two commercial loadings for the 6.8x45mm Urban Combat Cartridge:
- Standard Ammunition with 115 grain Nosler Open Tip Match (OTM) at 2,500 feet per second
- Premium Ammunition with 110 grain Hornady Open Tip Match (OTM) at 2,500 feet per second
AR-15 Upper Receivers
- Complete upper receivers available through Kramer Defense feature:
- High pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected bolt
- Premium Lothar Walther barrels made of LW19 chrome moly steel that are polygonally rifled, chromed lined and have a twist rate of 1:11.3