The S2 Blast Gauge System
General Lee lies on its side after surviving a buried IED blast on April 15, 2007. (CREDIT: Army)
Blast events cause extreme changes in overpressure that can cause serious injury to the head, commonly known as traumatic brain injury (TBI).
BlackBox Biometrics believes that understanding the blast event and an individual’s exposure is critical to the triage and treatment of their injury, which is why the company developed the S2 Blast Gauge System, one of three blast systems.
The system provides the capability to capture complex data on blast events by recording a user’s exposure to blast overpressure and resulting accelerations.
The S2 Blast Gauge System is an updated version of BlackBox Biometrics’ original S1 model, and is designed with militaries in mind.
An added 3-axis accelerometer measures up to ±200g for increased accuracy and battery enhancements improve battery life by up to 25 percent.
The S2 captures more powerful events that a soldier might encounter, including improvised explosive devices (IEDs), some artillery fire, and rocket/missile launchers such as the AT4 or SMAW-D.
For more information on the S2 Blast Gauge System and other products from BlackBox Biometrics, please visit BlastGauge.com.
- Triage Capable – Lights activated via recessed button.
- Exposure Tailored Treatment – Data transferred to PC for detailed event analysis.
- Durable – Fully encapsulated design withstands weather and impact.
- Easy to use – Blast overpressure and acceleration automatically collected and classified.
- Reprogrammable – Load latest firmware for your applications.
- Small – Less than one cubic inch and weighing less than one ounce.
- Flexible mounting – Instantly installs on helmet, gear, and vehicles.
- Inexpensive – Quickly outfit deployed troops.
- Traceable – Soldier privacy protected.
- Multipurpose – Route clearance, training, SOF, breaching, SWAT, bomb squad.
Kyle Defoor, a former Navy SEAL, and Bravo Company have built the ultimate RECCE-16...
by Len Waldron / Sep 23, 2014