Back in the day, if your solvent didn’t smell like a toxic waste dump, we thought it wasn’t doing its job. Today, there are numerous gun cleaning products that are “green,” meaning the solvent is non-toxic, biodegradable and eco-friendly. This new breed also has a pleasant smell or no odor at all, and they will not harm wood or polymer.
- RELATED STORY: 12 Gun Cleaners That Will Keep Your Firearm Running Smoothly
Here are 10 green products for your black guns.
- Ballistol: Since 1904, Ballistol has been keeping firearms clean and protected. Probably the first environmentally friendly solvent and oil, Ballistol not only works great on metal but also wood, rubber and leather. It will clean your weapon’s bore of fouling and lubricate it without hardening or gumming up. Ballistol is biodegradable and will not harm the environment. The aerosol uses a propane/butane blend with no CFCs, and it is also safe for skin. (ballistol.com; 800-253-2460)
- Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner: Not only will Blue Wonder remove copper and lead deposits in your barrel’s bore, but it will also remove rust from the exterior without harming the finish. And it does this all while be completely non-toxic, nonflammable and biodegradable. Blue Wonder is safe for polymer frames and will remove oil from oil-soaked stocks. (bluewonder.us; 866-486-2583)
- BoreTech Extreme Grease: This grease is a synthetic-based nano-ceramic lubricant designed to be used under extreme pressures and over a wide temperature range, from -85 to 700 degrees Fahrenheit. It is slicker with a lower friction coefficient than traditional petroleum-based lithium grease. It comes in a syringe with a fine tip so you can place just the right amount wherever you need it. It’s also environmentally friendly with no odor. (267-347-4436; boretech.com)
- FIREClean: FIREClean conditions metal to resist carbon and other fouling while providing a durable lube for metal surfaces. The liquid cleans deeply without having to use brushes or picks so the cleaning process is fast. Once treated with FIREClean, fouling does not adhere to surfaces and can simply be wiped off with a clean rag or paper towel. It does this while being odorless, non-toxic and biodegradable. (cleanergun.com)
- FrogLube CLP Liquid Spray: FrogLube CLP is totally bio-based and made from a USDA-certified food-grade formula. It’s nice to the environment while being tough on fouling. It dissolves carbon on contact. The composition of FrogLube CLP allows it to be absorbed by the metal, leaving a dry, slick, wax-like surface that reduces friction and eliminates fouling and rust. It also has a pleasant minty smell. (froglube.com; 855-376-4582)
- Iosso Bore Cleaner: This concentrated paste is made from plant extracts. Since it is a paste, it will not spill or drip into actions. Iosso Bore Cleaner removes copper, lead, carbon, powder fouling, plastic residue and surface rust, plus it is odorless, non-corrosive and nonflammable. (iosso.com; 847-437-8400)
- M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner: M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner breaks down carbon so lead and copper fouling floats free. This product is odorless, nonflammable, non-toxic and biodegradable, so it is enviro-friendly. It completely strips metal clean of carbon, oils and grease and leaves a thin rust-inhibiting film without a slick, oily feel. (mpro7.com; 800-937-4677)
- Otis Bio CLP: This CLP is an all-in-one cleaner, lubricant and preservative, plus it is biodegradable. While it removes carbon and powder residues from metal surfaces, it lubricates the metal and helps prevent rust and corrosion. (otistec.com; 800-684-7486)
- Zerust Gun Cleaner: Zerust is formulated with biodegradable oils to protect from rust, remove fingerprints as well as clean and condition your firearm. Zerust products work by releasing a harmless vapor into the air around your metal item. Protective molecules settle on all exposed metal surfaces, forming a thin protective layer. This molecular layer inhibits the electrochemical reactions at the surface of the metal that cause corrosion. (zerustproducts.com; 330-405-1965)
- Weapon Shield CLP: Weapon Shield CLP is formulated to clean, remove lead, lubricate metal surfaces and protect metal from corrosion. Testing has shown that Weapon Shield improves bore accuracy due to the decreased friction between the bullet and bore surfaces. This is achieved through its Advanced Boundary Film (ABF) technology. (weaponshield.com; 800-390-1535)
Discussion about this post