Check out what it takes to be an Alaska State Trooper below!
1. They go to summer school: “SERT Summer School” training course for the Special Emergency Response Team (SERT) two weeks out of every year.
2. The Alaska SERT is composed of the Alaska State Troopers, as well as local and other state agencies that fill the 52 allocated positions on the three teams based out of Anchorage, Fairbanks and Soldotna.
3. The Alaska State Troopers are Alaska’s elite statewide police force with approximately 650 sworn troopers and hundreds of civilian support personnel.
4. When the Alaska State Troopers operate in remote areas, they usually cannot expect rapid backup, so what they bring to a situation is usually all that they have to win a fight. That means their equipment and weapons have to be reliable and capable of operating in conditions of snow, rain and saltwater, as well as temperatures that can vary more than 120 degrees between summer and winter.
5. Weapons fielded include the Colt M4 5.56mm carbine, the Remington 870 12-gauge shotgun, the Remington 700P LTR .308 precision rifle and the Glock G22 Gen4 .40 pistol
6. AST use robotic partners! The AST also has the practiced capability to evaluate and monitor dangerous situations using their Robotex Avatar II tactical robot. It is a small, tracked, self-powered robot that can be sent into a building for reconnaissance, communicate at a safe distance with two-way audio and one-way video, day or night, and it can deliver small items, even up stairs.
7. Alaska Troopers use “Special FX.” The FX marking cartridges are reduced-energy, less-lethal cartridges that leave a detergent-based, water-soluble marking compound in six colors to allow accurate assessment of the effectiveness of the opposing force.
8. Unlike other states, Alaska is not divided into counties with their own police departments and sheriffs. The AST performs those duties, which include serving civil papers and mental health custody orders, and serve as the only police force available throughout Alaska to enforce the criminal and traffic laws, hunting and fishing regulations and more, while employing a wide variety of land, snow, air and water patrol vehicles.