The Afghan government on Wednesday welcomed President Barack Obama’s decision to bring home half of the 66,000 American troops in Afghanistan within the next year, and said its forces are ready to take responsibility for the country’s security.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai has been pressing for a faster pace in the withdrawal of foreign combat troops from Afghanistan and agreed with Obama last month to accelerate the handover of security responsibilities to his country’s newly trained security forces to this spring — instead of late summer as originally planned.
“Afghanistan welcomes the announcement by President Obama,” Karzai’s office said. “This is something Afghanistan has wanted for so long now. The withdrawal in spring of foreign forces from Afghan villages will definitely help in ensuring peace and full security in Afghanistan.”
The Afghan Defense Ministry said it was ready to take on the responsibility.
Read more at Fox News
The Afghan government on Wednesday welcomed President Barack Obama's decision to bring home half of…
by Tactical-Life / Feb 12, 2013