The Carabinieri, Italy’s military police force, has placed an order for 1,000 Beretta PMX submachine guns.
According to Jane’s 360, the contract with the Carabinieri General Command is worth €816,000, or $1 million, and it addresses the service’s need for a replacement for its Beretta M12S/PM12-S subgun, which was originally manufactured way back in 1961 and isn’t being produced anymore.
First created in 1814, the Carabinieri is Italy’s national gendarmerie, which means it’s responsible for policing both military and civilians in the country. The service is one of the four branches of the Italian Armed Forces, along with the Army, Navy and Air Force. It’s comprised of over 100,000 members.
The Beretta PMX is a select-fire, closed-bolt, blowback-operated submachine gun chambered in 9mm with a 6.9-inch barrel and a lightweight, ergonomic folding stock. It features an OAL of 25.2 inches extended and 16.5 inches folded; overall weight of 5.3 pounds empty; windage adjustable rear and elevation adjustable front sights; reversible charging handle; Picatinny rails on the top, bottom and sides of the receiver; and a 30-round magazine capacity.
First unveiled at the 20th edition of Milipol Paris in November 2017, the Beretta PMX made its official stateside debut at SHOT Show in Las Vegas last week. See the specs of the gun below.
For more, go to berettadefensetechnologies.com.
Beretta PMX Specs
- Caliber: 9 x 19 mm
- Magazine Capacity: 30 rounds
- Barrel Length: 6.9 in. (175 mm)
- Overall Length: Extended stock – 25.2 in. (640 mm), Folded stock – 16.5 in. (418 mm)
- Overall Height (With Magazine): Without sights – 9.8 in. (250 mm), With folded sights – 10.6 in. (270 mm)
- Overall Width: With extended stock – 2.9 in. (74 mm), With folded stock cocking handle right – 3.4 in. (86 mm), With folded stock cocking handle left – 3.9 in. (100 mm)
- Line of sight: 9.8 in. (250 mm)
- Weight (Unloaded): 5.3 lbs (2.4 kg)
- Locking System: Blowback
- Operating System: Semi-auto and full-auto
- Safety: Manual safety on selector which locks the trigger and automatic firing pin safety with bolt open lever
- Sights: Rear sight adjusts in windage. Front sight adjusts in elevation. Both are removable.
- Stock: Polymer and light alloy metals
- Special Features: Picatinny rails MIL-STD-1913 positioned top, bottom and on sides of receiver; vertical front hand guards