It’s no secret that Glock has enjoyed a long, fruitful relationship with law enforcement; that relationship evidently continues to flourish, as the company just announced that more than a dozen new police agencies went with Glock in their respective searches for a new duty gun. The switch was made in the first quarter of 2018.
Police Choose Glock Pistols
The press release doesn’t list all the law enforcement agencies making the jump, but it does name the South Carolina Highway Patrol and the West Virginia State Police. The latter placed an order for 850 Glock 17 Gen5 pistols after extensive testing.
“The WV State Police has always prided itself in providing the best available equipment to its members and that is why we have chosen Glock,” Lt. Robert Perry said in a statement.
LCpl Colbert with the South Carolina Highway Patrol said the reliability of Glock pistols made the decision a no-brainer for his agency.
“Reliability is synonymous with Glock: the weapons work when you need them to. In law enforcement, a weapon’s reliability can mean the difference between life and death,” Colbert said. “When our officers leave for work every day there’s usually only two things we make absolutely sure we have – our Glock and our body armor!”
Various law enforcement agencies on a local, state and federal level—including the FBI, DEA, US Marshals and ATF—use Glock pistols. The latest models to hit the market are the Gen5 family and the 19X. Below, check out the specs for the 9mm Glock 17 Gen5 chosen by the West Virginia State Police.
Glock 17 Gen5 Specs
- Caliber/System: 9mm/Safe Action
- Length: 202 mm / 7.95 in.
- Height: 139 mm / 5.47 in.
- Width: 34.00 mm / 1.34 in.
- Barrel Height: 20 mm / 0.79 in.
- Length Between Sights: 165 mm / 6.49 in.
- Barrel Length: 114 mm / 4.49 in.
- Unloaded Weight: 710 g / 25.04 oz.
- Loaded Weight: 910 g / 32.10 oz.
- Trigger Pull: ~2.5 kg / ~5.5 lbs.
- Trigger Travel: ~12.5 mm / 0.49 in.
- Barrel Rifling: right hand, hexagonal (GMB)
- Length of Twist: 250 mm / 9.84 in.
- Magazine Capacity: 17 (Standard), 10/33 (Optional)
Tammie Jo Shults, the Southwest pilot who heroically landed a plane after its engine exploded...
by Tactical-Life / Apr 19, 2018