A hearing to determine if an Army psychiatrist should stand trial in the worst mass shooting on a U.S. military base ended Monday with defense lawyers presenting no evidence.
After a three-week break, accused gunman Maj. Nidal Hasan was back in court at Fort Hood to resume his Article 32 hearing. His lawyers chose to call no witnesses at the military court proceeding.
Col. James Pohl, the investigating officer in the case, will recommend whether Hasan should go to trial on 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder for last November’s attack at the Texas post. That decision ultimately will be made by Fort Hood’s commanding general. Military officials haven’t said if they’ll seek the death penalty if the case goes to trial.
During Monday’s three-minute court appearance, Pohl asked Hasan if he remembered that Pohl had told him he had the right to make a statement.
“Yes,” Hasan replied softly.
Asked if he wished to make a statement, Hasan responded: “No.”
Hasan was paralyzed from the chest down after being shot that day by police and has been attending the hearing in a wheelchair. He remains jailed, as the military justice system does not have bail.
More than two dozen soldiers wounded in last year’s shooting rampage at Fort Hood were among those who testified in October, describing in chilling detail the attack that killed 12 soldiers and one civilian. Then the hearing was delayed, in part because the defense didn’t want it going on during the anniversary of the Nov. 5, 2009, rampage.
Source: The Associated Press
A hearing to determine if an Army psychiatrist should stand trial in the worst…
by Tactical-Life.com / Nov 15, 2010