Current and former U.S. counterterrorism officials said Wednesday that one of the nation’s most wanted terrorists is linked to last year’s thwarted plot to bomb the New York City subway system.
The officials said top al-Qaida operative Adnan Shukrijumah met with one of the would-be suicide bombers in a plot that Attorney General Eric Holder called one of the most dangerous since the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn have named Shukrijumah in a draft terrorism indictment, but on Wednesday the Justice Department was still discussing whether to cite his role. Some officials feared that the extra attention might hinder efforts to capture him.
Shukrijumah’s involvement shows how important the subway bombing plot was to al-Qaida’s senior leadership. Intelligence officials believe Shukrijumah is one of the top candidates to become al-Qaida’s next head of external operations, the man in charge of planning attacks worldwide.
Current and former counterterrorism officials discussed the case on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak about it.
Source: Adam Goldman and Matt Apuzzo for AP News.
Current and former U.S. counterterrorism officials said Wednesday that one of the nation's most wanted…
by Tactical-Life.com / Jul 1, 2010