The following is a release from Sen. Pat Toomey:
U.S. Senators Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) and Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) this week called for Senate action on their bill: the Thin Blue Line Act.
The Thin Blue Line Act provides that if a murderer kills or targets a law enforcement officer, prosecutor, or first responder, this shall count as an aggravating factor in favor of imposing the death penalty in federal court.
- RELATED STORY: Senate Approves $584.2B Defense Authorization Bill For 2015
When a jury in a federal case considers whether to impose the death penalty, the jury must consider certain “aggravating” factors. Current law states that if the murder victim is a federal law enforcement officer or federal prosecutor, this fact shall weigh as an aggravating factor in favor of the death penalty.
The Thin Blue Line Act provides the same level of justice to local law enforcement officers, prosecutors, and first responders. It also enhances the penalty when a defendant targets a law enforcement officer, prosecutor, or first responder solely because that individual has chosen to protect and serve.
The following organizations have endorsed this legislation:
- Concerns of Police Survivors (C.O.P.S.)
- Corrections U.S.A.
- Council of Prison Locals
- Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association
- Fraternal Order of Police
- International Union of Police Associations, AFL-CIO
- Major County Sheriffs’ Association
- National Association of Police Organizations
- National District Attorneys Association
- National Sheriffs’ Association
- National Troopers Coalition
Boyds new Benjamin Marauder and Benjamin Marauder Gen 2 Airgun replacement gunstocks available in Pro...
by Tactical-Life / Oct 13, 2015